ATM withdrawal of money overseas can attract expensive bank charges on most credit cards. If only you could save your hard earned money from ending up in the coffers of the bank! After all, bank fees carry the potential to make or break your travel budget.
- Get a Capital One or Chase Credit card - no overseas transaction fees.
- Schwab checking account - full reimbursal of ATM fees at the end of every month.
Once done, the above two steps shall ensure that you never, ever pay another bank fee.
The above option works for the Americans. For the non-Americans, the following is suggested.
- Obtain a credit card from a bank that is a part of the Global ATM Alliance.
- No ATM fees if you use a bank from the network. (Note: Some banks like Bank of America will not charge the bank fee if you use Barclays bank in UK but will charge a bank fee if you use Barclays bank outside UK)
- A credit card use shall fetch you the best exchange rate.
- Travellers cheques fetch inferior rates. Hence avoid them as much as possible.